For years, I have struggled with dry, damaged hair. Since I swore off chemical treatment and started rocking my natural hair, I have experienced dull hair days more often than not. My hair was falling off in and out of the shower and my curls were looking flimsy. That’s when I discovered, after many, many hours of research, that what my hair needed was protein treatment for natural hair.
After experimenting with various protein treatments, I found the one that worked best for me. Although it can be messy and time consuming, the one that worked best for me was the DIY protein treatment listed below.
However, I do use a couple of the other products listed below on some occasions. The trick is to give your hair enough protein without overdoing it as that can also harm your hair.
Why is Protein Treatment Important for Natural Hair?
Hair is made of mostly protein. That protein is called keratin. When our hair goes through chemical processing, heat damage, and sun exposure, the protein in our har can break down. Thus, in order to maintain healthy, strong hair, it is important that we replenish some of the protein that is broken down through protein treatments.
Protein hair treatments often come in the form of hair masks that are deep conditioning, strengthening and/or repairing.
It is often recommended that these treatments be implemented about once a month.
For those of you looking for the best protein treatments for natural hair, here are some of the best products that get the job done.
Some of the Best Protein Treatment for Natural Hair
This is one of the products that I tried when I first discovered my hair was crying for deep conditioning treatment. And I was so happy with the result that I had the other naturalistas in my life go out and get some too.
Among other things, this product is “loaded with reparative omegas” that nourish and restore damaged, dry hair.
Black Hairstyles from around the world to try!2. Arvazallia Fortifying Protein Hai Mask and Deep Conditioner with Argan Oil and Macadamia Oil
I have heard some people complain about Argan oil, so this product might not be suitable for all hair types. But for those who love Argan oil, this is a great treatment to incorporate into your natural hair routine.
These small packs are prefect to use at home or to travel with. The hair treatment is perfect for natural hair that has been damaged from over processing and is currently color treated.
Like most of the products above, you can use this hair treatment as a quick conditioning product or as a deep conditioner by applying the product onto the hair and leaving it on longer while applying heat to the hair.
Aside from repairing dry and damaged hair, this product also promises to “soften and prove hair elasticity and luster, decreasing frizz and increasing volume.”
For those who are pressed for time and cannot set aside half the day for hair routines, this is the perfect protein treatment for natural hair. In just 2 minutes, this treatment can help rebuild the protein in your hair. If you have more than 2 minutes, you can also leave it on your hair for longer for deeper treatment.
Cantu is one brand I swear by when it comes to my hair. There is no product of theirs that I have tried and have been disappointed by.
This deep treatment masque is one product that I always have handy. It’s affordable, effective, and consistent with the results it gives me every time I use it!
Although on the pricier side, Briogeo’s deep conditioning mask is loved by many for being an effective weekly treatment for dry and damaged natural hair. The hair treatment “works in minutes to restore essential hydration and natural vibrancy to dry, brittle, over-processed, and otherwise lackluster hair.”
The Best DIY Protein Treatment for Natural Hair
If you’re a DIY champ like me, you experimenting with ingredients to create the best hair treatments. Although it might be more time consuming, you might be more satisfied and reassured by the fact that you know everything that’s going into creating your treatment.
Although there are many different set DIY protein hair treatments out there, what I will list below is some ingredients you can use and their benefits for your hair. Then, you can choose which ones to mix together to create your own unique treatment.
As for me, I combine all of the items listed below when I prepare my natural hair treatment. However, if there’s an item below that you know or suspect might not be good for your hair, feel free to leave it out.
1. Coconut Oil– Good ol’ coconut oil is a go to for me for almost all my natural hair treatments. It moisturizes dry hair and prevents hair breakage and split ends. Coconut oil is also great for scalp and fighting dandruff.
2. Eggs– Just like eggs are a great source of protein for the body, they are also a great source of protein for the hair. Eggs help improve hair elasticity (which then prevents hair breakage) and promote hair growth. This ingredient is also great for adding shine to dull hair.
3. Avocado- Another super food that’s great for the body and great for the hair! Avocado is rich in fatty acids that promote strong hair follicles. Strong hair follicles means less breakage and longer hair life.
4. Castor Oil– Like most of the products listed above, I make sure to add castor oil to my hair routine. This wonder oil nutritious the scalp to increase circulation to the scalp and improve hair growth.
5. Banana– This might be a strange one to add to the list, but the benefits of banana for hair and skin are plenty. Since banana is rich in natural oils and vitamins, it helps hair maintain its natural elasticity, which in tern prevents split ends and hair breakage.
Whether you decide to make your own protein hair treatment or by one, make sure to keep consistent with your treatment to see best results!