- Signed the Voting Rights Act of 1970 that extended the Voting Rights Act of 1965 that prohibits racial discrimination in voting
- Signed the title 9 amendment which banned gender discrimination in higher education.
- 1971 Nixon started the war on Drugs. “The Nixon campaign in 1968 and the Nixon White House after that had two enemies: the anti-war left and black people,” Ehrlichman told journalist Dan Baum in 1994.
- Nixon opposed busing personally but enforced court orders requiring its use.
- Insured the desegregation of schools happened peacefully
- Said he would be tough on crime which was coded language that he would be tough on civil rights protest
- Nixon implemented the Philadelphia Plan in 1970—the first significant federal affirmative action program.
- He also pushed for African American civil rights and economic equity through a concept known as black capitalism
Nixon was a President that can be summed up as doing liberal deeds but having conservative words. He was a president that both the left and the right are not particularly fond of because he tried to play the middle on most issues.