- Believe in state’s rights (we’ve heard that before)
- Condemned bussing and affirmative action
- Cut programs that helped the poor- like food stamps and school lunches
- In 1981, Reagan persuaded congress to lower the top tax rate from 70% to 50%. In 1986 it was lowered to 28%. Hence Trickle down economics – the idea that you give the rich more money and it will flow down to the bottom
- Ronald Regan expanded the war on drugs. This lead to a skyrocketing number of Black and Brown people getting locked up. The number of people behind bars for non-violent drug law offenses increased from 50,000 in 1980 to over 400,000
Ronald Reagan was and still is beloved my many in the United States. He helped to modernize what the Republican Party is today. Sadly, for black and brown people in this country, his policies and rhetoric were absolutely devastating to the community. He devalued Civil Rights, locked up blacks in the name of war on drugs, and withdrew funding to support blacks.